Col. David Rhea
Quarter Master

Probably beginning at the start of the war, but certainly by 1778-1780, Allentown was the Quarter Masters Depot for all of Monmouth County. All of the forage, produce and supplies sent to the armies from Monmouth County were shipped or organized from Allentown and it was there that the quarter master and staff had their headquarters. David Rhea was Quarter Master at Allentown beginning in late 1778.


David Rhea was the former owner of the fulling (cloth) mill and grist mill in Allentown. He was a hero at the Battle of Monmouth.


Joshua Huddy

A point of interest; also included in the papers of Moore Furman, there is a letter from David Rhea, Allen Town, June 25, 1780, showing a record of Capt. Joshua Huddy, late General Formans artillery, delivering teams to the quartermasters department he collected from a remote part of Shrewsbury by the Generals advice. Capt. Huddy delivered the letter to Moore Furman. Robert Rhea, Captain, of a Troop of Light Horse, Monmouth County Militia stated in a letter, that refugees under the command of a mulatto named Titus, in the summer of 1780 came up to Colts Neck and captured Huddy at his home, while on a visit and just before the Block House, near Toms River was taken; his troop of horse went in pursuit and at Sandy Hook met the refugees as they were taking to their boats. Robert Rheas troops fired on them, wounding Captain Huddy by accident. Captain Huddy jumped overboard and escaped from the refugees and was escorted home. Huddy, of the Monmouth Militia, became a cause celebrere when he was brutally executed over the brave protestations of his intended executioners. Captain Robert Rheas regiment of the Monmouth Militia was composed primarily of men from Upper Freehold, which included Allentown at that time


Mutiny at Morristown;
Officers Encampat Allentown

From Mutiny in January by Carl Van Doren:


But about noon or shortly after, two officers of the Line rode up to the borders of Princeton to bring Wayne word that eighty armed officers, headed by Colonel Craig, were on their way by the Middlebush road to Crannberry (now Cranbury), ready to take a position and wait for the settlement of the mutiny. The messengers were stopped by a guard and treated with a great deal of insolence, and turned back. (The officers went on from Cranberry [sic] to Allentown for the night.) ... The Jersey militia were being collected between them and New York, between them and Delaware.

According to Women Camp Followers of the American Revolution, by Walter Blumenthal:
The Pennsylvania Line designated the several small regiments furnished by that state as part of the Continental Army, as distinct from the Militia. The Continental Congress was lax in providing provisions, clothing, and pay which was eleven months overdue, and, at the end of 1780, the Pennsylvania Line reached the limit of its patience. Almost to a man, they mutinied on January 1, 1781, broke open stores of ammunition and provisions, and marched to Princeton where they had a showdown with a joint committee of spokesmen from Congress and Pennsylvania. Promised pay, food, and clothing (of which little was forthcoming), they returned to duty five days later at Morristown (Mt. Kemble).

Wilgus Shot near Walns Mill

From Battles and Skirmishes in New Jersey of the American Revolution, by David C. Munn:
Militiaman Richard Wilgus is shot while keeping guard near Allentown to prevent contraband trade with the British.
From Charles R. Hutchinson:
Among the casualties of the Revolution, I find the following,
Richard Wilgus was shot below Allentown August, 1782, while on guard to prevent contraband trade with the British. Mayor E. M. Woodward says, Wilgus was shot at Walns Mill at a point about one hundred yards beyond the mill, towards Imlaystown, just beyond Mrs. Sarah M. Hendricksons house. He says (Isaac) Woodward, a tory (of his own family), lived in the brick house below the mill, near the blacksmith shop. He had been off upon an expedition dealing with the British, and upon his return home, being informed that Wilgus was waiting to capture him, took his gun, and went out and shot him. He, and others of the Woodward family, afterwards escaped to Nova Scotia where their descendants still live.

Courts of Admiralty held at Allentown

During the years, 1777-1783 inclusive, the Court of Admiralty sat at Allentown to adjust the claims of parties (privateers, Militia, etc.) for their share of the prizes received from the sale of vessels and/or cargoes that had been captured from the British. The Court met primarily at the home/tavern of Gilbert Barton and, on occasion, the homes of Adonijah Francis and Benjamin Laurence, and at Randels Tavern. Adjudicating these proceedings were; Judge Joseph Lawrence, Judge William Livingston, and Judge Bowes Reed. William Livingston was elected the first Governor of the State of New Jersey Aug. 31, 1776. Before he was elected Governor, he served as Brigadier General of the Militia.

According to files Joe Truncer left to the Historical Society:
While the whereabouts of the records of the Court of Admiralty of New Jersey remains a mystery, it can be determined from various other sources (newspaper advertisements, appeals, private correspondence, etc.) just where the court sat, the sites of sales and other details. Most of the trials were conducted in the west-central part of the state, usually that area between Mount Holly and Trenton. Of all the locations used, four seem to have been favored sites. These were:
The Courthouse at Burlington;
Gilbert Bartons House at Allentown;
Rensealer Williams House at Trenton;
Isaac Woods House at Mount Holly;
Other locations where prize cases were heard included: Randles Tavern, Allentown; the courthouse at Glouster, the courthouse at Trenton, the houses of Adonijah Francis and Benjamin Laurence at Allentown, James Esdals house, Burlington; Joseph Douglass house at Crosswicks, Captain James Greens House at Freehold ... the last prize cases to be brought before the Court of Admiralty were heard at the home of Adonijah Francis at Allentown May 12, 1783.
Among the vessels, or vessel/prizes adjudicated by Judge Joseph Lawrence (unless otherwise noted) at the home of Gilbert Barton, innkeeper, were:

The brigantine or vessel named the William & Mary, the sloop or vessel named Duck, the sloop or vessel named Betsy, the sloop or vessel named Bachelor, the sloop, or vessel named Hazard, the sloop or vessel named Dispatch, the brigantine named Industry, the sloop or vessel named Canaster, the brigantine or vessel named Carolina Packet, the sloop or vessel named Palm, the brigantine or vessel named Speedwell, the sloop or vessel named Jenny, the schooner or vessel named Dove, the ship or vessel named Love and Unity, the schooner or vessel named Good Intent, the schooner or vessel named Fame, the schooner or vessel named Hannah, the sloop or vessel named George, the ship or vessel named Venus, the sloop or vessel named Peggy, the brigantine or vessel named Recovery, the schooner or vessel named Marydunces, the sloop or vessel named Good Intent, the schooner or vessel named Commerce, the schooner or vessel named Fortune, schooner or vessel named Rambler, the sloop or vessel named Charming Patty, the schooner or vessel named Friends, a sloop or vessel named Charming Polly, a sloop named Polly, a sloop named Sally, a schooner named Hope, a sloop named Fanny, a sloop named Success, a sloop named Experiment, a ship named Mermaid, a brigantine named Delight, a sloop named Retrieve, a boat named Friendship, a sloop named Clinton, a schooner named True-Blue, a sloop named Favourite, a brigantine named Britannia, a sloop named Hazard, a sloop named General Greene, a ship named Malton, and a whale boat named Unity.
(Judge William Livingston adjudicated the William & Mary case. Judge Bowes Reed adjudicated cases involving the Canaster, the Carolina Packet, the Dove, and the Marydunces.)