Found in the Allentown Messenger dated December 22, 1910, the following story of the early dairy industry in the entire region.
On December 1, 1910, after an existence of over thirty years, the Allentown creamery ceased to do business, and the plant that has been the scene of so many busy days is now standing idle.
The creamery was built in August, 1880, on the site of the old sorghum factory, on land purchased of the late Abel Cafferty [opposite the Mill, high on the western bank of Doctors creek].
The company was organized with William Hutchinson as president, George Vanderbeck, secretary; Josiah S. Robbins, treasurer, and Albert A. Taylor as superintendent. Mr. Hutchinson was soon succeeded by Daniel L. Savidge as president, who has since remained in that position, while Mr. Taylor resigned shortly before his death. The first directors were William Hutchinson, Josiah S. Robbins, Daniel L. Savidge, Asher Borden, Charles Cafferty, John McCabe, Samuel F. Woolley, George Vanderbeck, Samuel F. Fowler and Charles Blake.
The first manager of the concern was Edwin W. Dimmick, who met his death through an accident at the creamery on August 5, 1886. He was succeeded, on August 29 of the same year, by Alfred Bradley, of Plymouth, N. Y.
Mr. Bradley has not been here continuously since that time, he leaving in 1895 and returning three years later, in 1898. During the first year of his absence his place was taken by Walter Pittman, and the next two years by Robert Basters, who went from here to Coatesville, PA.
Cheese, both full cream and skim, was made at the Allentown creamery until about twelve years ago, and it found a ready market, buyers in Trenton securing as high as a dozen cheese at a time. When the local and Trenton demand did not use all the supply, the remainder was shipped to New York.
The butter made here had a wide reputation for its excellence, and it was made in great quantity, a very large territory being drawn on for the milk supply. From beyond Newtown [Robbinsville], from near Windsor and New Sharon, and Imlaystown, and Ellisdale, and literally from the four corners, came the farmers in the early morning hours, trading a little at our stores, too, on their homeward trip.
Allentown stores have gained such a reputation for their completeness and reasonable charges that business in them still keeps up, but all is changed in the line of milk disposal. Trenton has greatly grown, and dealers in their eagerness for milk come to our very doors for it. Philadelphia milkmen have established stations and cream separating plants along the line of the Pemberton and Hightstown Railroad – and thus from all directions from Allentown the contest for the milk supply is warm.
Another local creamery that has been put out of business by the same causes is that a Cream Ridge, which was built about two years before the one at Allentown, and which shut down several years ago. The machinery for this creamery was furnished by the same by the same concern that supplied the one at Allentown (Marquis & Son, Norwich, N.Y.), and they agreed not to install another plant within five miles of that one. The distance was accordingly measured, and five miles from the creamery at the Ridge brought the rodmen to the bridge at Possum Hollow, just on the outskirts of Allentown.
The creamery has always paid a dividend of five per cent on its stock, which was issued at $50 per share.
Among the last farmers to haul their milk to the Allentown creamery were Joseph C. Johnston, who now deliver his product to J. Edgar Wilson, who in turn supplies Allentown; George R. Waln, R. C. Waln and James Hoarn, who now sent to the plant at Davis; Frank Rue, whose milk goes to Trenton; Edmund Dey and John Wikoff.
The wind-up of affairs found the following officers in charge: Daniel L. Savidge, president; William R. Savidge, secretary and treasurer; directors, George R. Waln, Joseph C. Johnston, William A. Burk, Samuel F. Woolley, Alfred L. Waln, Sr., John Hulse, Joseph S. Mount.